Have you ever wondered how your friends got Green Circle around their profile picture on Instagram in their stories? Were you too embarrassed to ask what does the green circle means on Instagram? Don’t be. You are not the first one and definitely not the last one who does not know the meaning.
First, we are going to explain what does the green circle means. And then, we will show you a quick guide on how you can get your first Instagram story with a green circle!
Seeing green circles in stories is a good thing. Since you are on a list of close friends of someone, this does not mean that you are close with that person, but it is the name of a new feature on IG, which is called “Close Friends.”
The close friends feature being used when you want to post a story, but not to all of your followers. Only to a selected group of followers/friends.
Fast Read Content
- 1 How to get your own Green Circle on Stories
- 2 How do you get the green circle on your Instagram profile picture?
- 3 How do I get rid of the green circle on the Instagram story?
How to get your own Green Circle on Stories
Before you can create your first story post for your close friends, get the green circle around your story post. You need to create close friends list first.
How to create close friends list on Instagram
- Open your Instagram app on your iPhone or Android phone
- Tap on your profile photo at the right bottom corner of the app
- Tap on the three lines below each other at the right upper corner to open the menu
- Tap on “Close Friends”
- Tap on the “Get Started” button to continue
- Instagram will show you suggestions, which you should at to close friends. But if you want to choose your friends, tap on the “Search” function
- Search for users that you would like to add to your close friend’s list
- Once you search for that person, tap on the “Add” button on the right side
- Repeat steps 6 to 8 until you have a complete list
Congratulations, you have created your close friend’s list on Instagram. Now you can post your first story to this list.
How to get a green circle on an Instagram story
- Open your Instagram app. If you have just finished the tutorial below, skip this step
- Tap on the “+” button to create a new story
- Either upload a photo/video that you have captured before or create a new one
- Once you have a video or photo ready to post, tap on the “Close Friends” button at the bottom left of the screen
After clicking on the Close Friends button, the story will be automatically published. If you go back to your profile page on Instagram, you will see that you have a green circle around your Instagram profile photo.
Your profile should be similar to this screenshot:
And your close friends will see your story with a green circle around this like on the screenshot below:
If they open your story, the will white starts in a green rectangle next to your username!
How do you get the green circle on your Instagram profile picture?
You get a green circle on your Instagram profile only when you share a story with your close friends. By that, we don’t mean your close friends in real life, but an Instagram feature called “close friends.”
How do I get rid of the green circle on the Instagram story?
Go ahead to the profile page of the user who has added you to their close friend’s list.
You have three options, how to get rid of the green circle. You can either unfollow that person, which might be too strong of action since they have added you to their close friend’s list.
You can also mute that person, or you can block them. We don’t really recommend you to block or unfollow that person.
The best way to get rid of the green circle on Instagram is to Mute their story posts. You will still have the option to see their posts. You will be able to chat with that person. You will only get rid of the annoying stories.
How to get rid of a green circle with a Mute function
- Tap on the “Following” button on their profile
- Tap on “Mute”
- Tap on “Stories”
Congratulations! If your mute settings look like on the screenshot below, you won’t see a green circle story post from that person.
The best part about this, that users cannot find out that you have muted them.
Other usefull IG guides: